The 3rd World Irrigation Forum Unveiled: The Ministry of Public Works and Housing Takes Cooperation with Global Institutions to Strengthen National Water and Food Security

Ministry of Public Works and Housing of Indonesia
2019-09-02 22:28 1720

BALI, Indonesia, Sept. 2, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID), the Indonesian National Committee of ICID (INACID), in collaboration with the Ministry of Public Works and Housing (PUPR) of Indonesia - today officially opened the 3rd World Irrigation Forum (WIF) & 70th International Executive Council Meeting (IECM) at Bali Nusa Dua Convention Hall. With the big theme "Development for water, food, and nutrition security in a competitive environment," the forum which takes place from 1 - 7 September 2019 involved more than 1,300 irrigation stakeholders from various countries, encompassing Governments, experts, research institutions, NGOs, and farmers. Various issues that will be discussed during the full seven days include: modernization of irrigation, flood and drought management, agriculture, and climate change.

ICID, INACID, Indonesia's Minister of Public Works and Housing, and Ministers of participating countries at the Opening Ceremony this morning.
ICID, INACID, Indonesia's Minister of Public Works and Housing, and Ministers of participating countries at the Opening Ceremony this morning.

In his remarks, Minister of Public Works and Public Housing (PUPR), Basuki Hadimuljono, stated that this forum could give birth to solutions to problems plaguing the irrigated agriculture, in time of depleting freshwater resources as a result of global warming and climate change, and the increase of world's population.

"Food production must double by 2050 to meet growing world population demand, while land and water availability are limited. We need a strong and innovative strategy to fight hunger and to end rural poverty," said Basuki at the start of the event.

The Directorate General of Water Resources (SDA) of the Ministry of Public Works and Housing, in particular used the first day of WIF to create a strategic bilateral policy with international organizations and other countries to accelerate infrastructure development, specifically the 65 dams targeted to be completed before the second term of President Joko Widodo's reign ended.

"With the World Bank, we ask for the acceleration of the Strategic Irrigation Modernization and Urgent Rehabilitation Project (SIMURP) and Dam Operational Improvement and Safety Project (DOISP) Phase 2, which current progress is still below 20%. Then with Korea, to accelerate the completion of Karian dam which must be completed in 2021. Finally, with China, we discussed technical things following their commitment to work on the project of Jenelata in Sulawesi and Riam Kiwa dam in Kalimantan," said Director General of Water Resources, Hari Suprayogi.

ICID President, Eng. Felix B. Reinders further appreciated Indonesia's willingness and readiness to host this triennial event. He believes that the irrigation system in Indonesia can be a valuable lesson for other participating countries, and vice versa.

"80% of the world countries use the gravity irrigation method, one of which is Indonesia with the renowned Subak system. The rest 20%, counting on pressurized irrigation. While countries such as China, South Africa, and India are currently investing heavily in a new irrigation technology to save water, namely drip irrigation system. This drip irrigation system can later be developed for horticultural crops in Indonesia," emphasized Felix.

The success of Bali being chosen as the host of WIF is not without reason. In addition to the continuous lobbying of the Government and its tourist attractions, as one of the eleven ICID founding countries in 1950, Indonesia's developing water resources usage for agriculture has always been an interesting case study for the world. Subak, which is a cultural heritage of Bali since the 11th century, is one of them. UNESCO has established Subak and its manifestations as world cultural heritage, including: Jatiluwih Irrigation, Ulun Danu Batur Temple, Pakerisan Irrigation, Catur Angga Batukaru Irrigation, and Taman Ayun Temple.

Media Contact:

Direktorat Jenderal Sumber Daya Air 
Sub Bagian Komunikasi Publik 
Gedung Ditjen Sumber Daya Air 
Kementerian PUPR 
Jl. Pattimura 20, Kebayoran Baru 
Jakarta - Indonesia 12110 
Phone: +6221 7398614 
Email: atau 

Photo -

Source: Ministry of Public Works and Housing of Indonesia